Why Consider Joining CBW?
Founded in 1991, Chesapeake Bay Writers is a chapter of the Virginia Writers Club. CBW serves writers from the Middle Peninsula, the Northern Neck and the Williamsburg area. These areas include the city of Williamsburg and the following counties: James City, Charles City, Essex, Gloucester, Mathews, Northumberland, Richmond, Westmoreland, Lancaster, Middlesex, King & Queen, King William (Town of West Point) and New Kent. With absorption of the James-York chapter in 2010, The CBW added to its service area York County and the cities of Hampton, Newport News and Poquoson.
The CBW hosts five luncheon or dinner meetings each year. These meetings are open to the public and offer a variety of informative programs about writing, publishing and marketing finished works. Included is an annual All Stars Gala at which members entertain one another by reading their work. Cash prizes are awarded.
In addition, the CBW sponsors workshops which afford members opportunities to exchange ideas and establish contact with others having similar interests. Individual members also host various critique and Open mic groups to encourage and support members in achieving their writing goals.
If your current situation fits one of the four descriptions below, you can benefit by joining the Chesapeake Bay Writers.
Our goal is to help all our members achieve their individual writing goals.
CBW extends the following benefits to its members:
1. Advance notice and discounts for CBW-sponsored workshops and General meetings with informative topical programs.
2. Free e-mail Subscription to Bay Writers News, the CBW newsletter, published five times per year.
3. Eligibility to compete for cash prizes in the annual CBW All Stars Writing Competition and club level of the Golden Nib writing contest sponsored by the Virginia Writers Club.
4. The website Bookstore provides information about members' books and links to where they can be purchased.
5. Networking and fellowship through access to area writers to help you grow your writing and marketing skills.
6. Website Visibility We'll place a photo and link to your website on our Members' Corner page (a reciprocating link back to the CBW Website is required). This increases traffic on both sites.
7. Radio Exposure CBW's Second Monday talk radio show on XTRA 99.1 FM offers a 15-20 minute interview with Neal Steele about members' recently published books. Features free placement of the recorded interview on the CBW Website. CBW Members also are showcased the month of their interview on the CBW website home page and on CBW's Facebook page.
8. Print Media Publicity: Chesapeake Style magazine offers Books in Style reviews of books by authors who are members of CBW or who regularly attend one of its critique groups. The magazine distributes 10-14,000 copies eight times a year to more than 300 locations in the Middle Peninsula and Northern Neck and to the Williamsburg General Store. For online version, click here.
Give back to the community of writers and advance your goals as a writer by becoming a supporter of CBW.
Click here for your CBW Application.